Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus Genotypes in Cervical Cancer Specimens in Tehran - Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences
Volume 25, Number 123 (4-2015)                   J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci 2015, 25(123): 185-190 | Back to browse issues page


XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Kimyaiee P, Morvarian S, Mirzamoradi M, Khodabandelouie S, Bakhtiyari M. Prevalence of Human Papillomavirus Genotypes in Cervical Cancer Specimens in Tehran . J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2015; 25 (123) :185-190
URL: http://jmums.mazums.ac.ir/article-1-5529-en.html

Abstract:   (2736 Views)
Background and purpose: Human papillomavirus infection is the most important risk factor and necessary cause of cervical cancer. The aim of this study was to determine the genotypes of HPV DNA in cervical carcinoma samples from Shohada and Imam Hossien Hospitals in Tehran, between 1999 and 2008. Materials and methods: After the paraffin alleviation process from the sections needed for HPV typing, the DNA was extracted from the genome virus. Then, PCR techniques were applied for identification and replication of the HPV virus genome from the tissues. Afterwards, the samples were placed into an incubator operating at a proper temperature and 28 genetic sequences for HPV genotypes were detected using Reverse Dot Blot Method. Results: There were 58 cases, of which 44 were HPV positive (75.9%) and the remaining samples were negative for HPV virus (24.1%). Among different genotypes of HPV, types 18 and 16 were found to be more frequent (13.7% and 62%, respectively). Also, there were 48 cases of squamous cell carcinoma of which 35 (80%) were HPV type 16. Conclusion: High prevalence of HPV in Iranian women calls for efficient health promotion strategies, more focus on appropriate sexual behavior, and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. These measures are great steps in preventing infection with HPV and cervical cancer.
Full-Text [PDF 169 kb]   (904 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Brief Report | Subject: Gynecology and Infertility

Add your comments about this article : Your username or email:
Write the security code in the box

Send email to the article author


© 2015 All Rights Reserved | Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb