Volume 22, Issue 2 (3-2013)                   J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci 2013, 22(2): 29-35 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print

Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Ziaei Hezarjaribi H, Dalimi A, Ghasemi M, EsmaeiliReykande S, Fakhar M. Verminous Appendicitis and Its Histopathologic Lesions . J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2013; 22 (2) :29-35
URL: http://jmums.mazums.ac.ir/article-1-2016-en.html
Abstract:   (9145 Views)
Background and Purpose: Appendicitis is the inflammation of the appendix caused by different pathogen agents. Parasites may ectopically enter the appendix and make a verminous appendicitis. The present study aims at investigating the frequency of verminous appendicitis in appendectomies done in two hospitals (Imam Khomeini and BooAli Hospitals). Moreover, the relationship between the vermin and the inflammation of the appendix with demographic factors will be studied. Material and Methods: In this descriptive cross-sectional study, all appendectomized samples collected from the two hospitals in a 5-year period were investigated. Pathologic slides of the appendices were studied to determine the type of pathological lesions and parasites. The diagnosis was done based on microanatomy of helminthes inside the appendices. Results: Among the 2135 examined appendices, 31 cases (1.45%) were found to be verminous and the rest, 2104 (98.55%), were inverminous. The identified parasites included Enterobius vermicularis (1.40%) and Taenia sp. (0.046%). Furthermore, 23 (74.19%) of the infected cases had inflammation, while 8 (25.81%) didn’t. The verminous appendicitis was found to be more prevalent among patients with less than 10 years old (4.10%). Conclusion: The results showed the role of parasitic infections causing appendicitis, but lack of inflammation in some parasitic appendicitis needs to be investigated in future.
Full-Text [PDF 283 kb]   (1753 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research(Original) | Subject: parasitology

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:

Send email to the article author

© 2019 All Rights Reserved | Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb